Monday, July 4, 2011

SNAP SHOT!

Hello Fabulous Fashionistas!

Today brings an interview with our official social media photographer, Raymond Siu.  For those of you who recall, I met Raymond at the fabulous opening of the Donna Dolphy salon and we have become fast friends.  He has a great eye and will be contributing his photography skills towards Glamazon Confidential.  Many thanks to Raymond!!

When you meet Raymond, he has the most charming smile and you instantly feel like you have known him forever.  Quiet and unassuming, he is clearly an observer of life and likes to capture special moments on camera.  He teaches photography as well, so make sure you call him to learn how to take pictures like a professional!  Contact him at www.raymondsiu.com.  We look forward to all of the amazing pictures he will take for us in the coming months!  Read on for some tidbits about our fabulous photog! 
Raymon Siu - A Self Portrait

How did you get started in photography?

In my second year of university I saw attractions I wanted to take pictures of and never had good camera with me so I used my phone!  Eventually I decided to got an SLR off of EBAY…it is a great camera that shows you exactly what the lens is seeing.  I got it for $200.00 used and started playing around with what I had.  I couldn’t even zoom!  I had to ‘zoom with my feet’ by walking closer to the object I wanted to photograph!  But it was a great start because I got a better view of things and my depth perception became better.  After that I was hooked!

What was the first picture you took?

I can’t remember but I think it was a self-portrait.  I’ve taken over 30,000 photos since I started in the business four years ago.

What are your favourite subjects to shoot?

People because there is something about seeing certain features and you can immediately relate to what they are feeling.

Where was the most impactful place you took a picture?

When I was doing an engagement shoot at the Don Valley Brickworks…everything just fell into place.  It was a rainy day and we kept going from outside to inside.  It was old and in the midst of being broken down when I shot there.  The guy had an umbrella for his fiancé and there is a shot that I got when he is holding the umbrella to keep her dry and the silhouette and colour was amazing…when I got that shot I was like, yeah, I know what I’m doing!!!

What is your most memorable photo?

It is actually a composition of shots.  I took photos in a cemetery and I did a panoramic shot with a perfect 180 angle view.  I was able to see everything, the tombstones, the trees and the ice. It was a beautiful picture.


Graveyard Panorama: Seven photos stitched together to achieve a 180 degree angle.


What do you love about photography?

It lets me share the way I see the world.

What ambitions do you have?

One day I would like to travel the world and shoot everything I see!

If you could photograph any celebrity in the world, who would it be?

I would love to photograph Jet Li.  It would be interesting to try and reflect his personality in the shot.

What supermodel would you want to photograph? 

I think you could never take a bad picture of Alessandra Ambrosio.

What fashion icon would you want to take a picture of?
 
Lady Gaga because so many people emulate her style.

What political figure would you want to photograph? 

Barrack Obama.

If you could capture any event in history, what would it be? 

I would have wanted to capture D-Day as long as I had a clause to say, ‘don’t shoot me’.


Who is your favourite photographer?

David Duchemin. He has a great eye and his photos are incredible.  http://www.davidduchemin.com/

Thanks to Raymond for taking the time to chat with us!  Stay tuned next week when we interview one of Toronto’s top fashion bloggers and cover the opening of a brand new boutique in Yorkville!!!

Until next time my Glamazons!

Cecilia J




                                                                  










No comments:

Post a Comment