Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Captivating Kendra…

Good Day Fabulous Fashionistas!

Kendra Francis
Today’s interview is with Art of Fashion judge and ANTM Live Fashion Show Producer, Kendra Francis, designer of the label FRANKE www.iamfranke.com.  We are so excited to see the amazing show she will produce for America’s Next Top Model Live and can’t wait for you all to be dazzled by our Main Stage Fashion spectacular! 
When you first meet Kendra, you can’t help but be taken aback by her striking beauty and charisma.  She clearly loves what she does and is meant to continue to pave the way in the fashion industry.  As a former contestant on ‘Project Runway Canada’ Kendra made a name for herself among a sea of female designers and really brought attention to her streamlined designs and innovative use of fabrics.  This year Kendra celebrated the 10th Anniversary of her label and had notable celebrities model her clothing for a fashion shoot.


She is a true renaissance woman and while working on developing her fashion line, still makes time to create wedding dresses, stunning gowns and one-of-a-kind pieces for celebrity clients and everyday women.  Read on to get a glimpse into this stylish maven’s life.
When did you start becoming interested in fashion?
When I was about 13 years old I discovered fashion through my older cousin, she used to make little fashion drawings and it was then that I was drawn to the creation of clothes and have been obsessed ever since. I made my first dress at 13 from a Butterick pattern.
What has been your biggest influence in starting your own line?
When I created FRANKE I really wanted to create something that spoke to the woman I wanted to be at that time and it drove me to create collection after collection and as I evolve, the label evolves.  I enjoy being an entrepreneur and having the freedom of creation and creating beautiful pieces from a simple piece of fabric.
Why did you choose to become involved with the Art of Fashion?
I believe in anything that can help an up and coming designer is vital and I am glad to be a part of that process.  It's a long journey and it's important to mentor those coming after you and to share your knowledge and experience.  It's actually very rewarding.
What would be your advice to emerging designers?
Go into this career choice knowing that its 80% business and 20% Creativity and Fabulosity...it's a lot of work but don't let it discourage you.  Your mistakes will be your biggest rewards and follow through on your gut instincts.
What trends do you see for fall?
For fall there are 2 major trends this season that I love. One is the Nouveau Grunge with the long Maxi Skirts and oversized sweaters a la Alexander Wang.

I also love the Boy look, very tailored with fitted shirts, tailored pants and suspenders with a great pair of loafers and pulled back hair.  Love them both and will be rocking them this season.

What are your favourite pieces to wear?
Right now I want big chunky sweater dresses and tall boots. 
I love a great t shirt dress or shift dress that can be worn multiple ways and take you from day to night.  Multifunctional pieces...love them.

If you could dress anyone, who would it be?
Carine Roitfield and Kate Lamphear...I love their personal styles and what it says about their power and personalities.
Thank you to Kendra for taking the time to share her thoughts with us!  Make sure to check out Kendra’s collection and support Canadian design!  We will have fantastic pictures from our evening at the Art of Fashion next week!  Stay tuned and stay gorgeous!
Until next time my Glamazons!
Cecilia J

No comments:

Post a Comment