Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Interview with Shannon Stewart!

Dear Ravishing Readers,

We recently had the opportunity to speak with America’s Next Top Model All Stars’ Shannon Stewart who blew us away with her positivity, confidence, and inspiration. She truly is the epitome of a great role model for young girls!
"I would like to encourage you to not compromise who you are for your dreams."




Have you always known you wanted to model?
When I was five years old, I saw a Maybelline cosmetics commercial and was instantly drawn to the model in it. I didn't know at that age that I wanted to be a model when I grew up, but it did spark my interest. The interest became my desire when I was around fourteen. I didn't know if that desire would ever come to "life," but I knew that if I did not try, then I would always wonder. I am blessed to have such loving parents that encouraged me to go after my dreams and to not "settle." They definitely made an incredible impact on my life!

Tell us about your first experience in the industry?
I not only remember it, but I also have pictures to remind me of my first experience. It definitely wasn't glamorous to some people. but to me, it got my feet wet. I was in a fashion show at a local mall near my home. I still remember the black dress I wore that had a huge bow at the waist, with bright colors on it. The picture is quite funny to look at now!!! I always tell people you have to start somewhere. Most people never start at the "top." You have to work your way up there! The "bottom" and your journey up to the top makes you appreciate what it took to get there and not take it for granted once you have reached a certain "status." No matter how far I go in this life, I never want to forget where I came from. 
 
Why did you audition for America's Next Top Model?
American Idol had just started around that time (I believe) so that show was really popular and made people's dreams come true. I thought that ANTM could do that for models, so I wanted to enter to find out! I knew that I would never know until I tried. I thought it would be a long shot for me to make it, but I was willing to at least enter. Come to find out, I did make it on the very first season!



What is your most memorable experience from ANTM?
My most memorable experience to the "public" would have to be me refusing to do the nude shoot in Paris at the Budda Bar! What a lot of people don't realize is, that in real-life modeling, you can say no! I have told my agents the things I won't do, and they do not send me to castings for those types of jobs, or submit me for them. The bad side to reality tv is that if you do not participate in a shoot, then it significantly hurts your chances of winning. They want a girl that will do anything, and I am not that girl. Some people may think that I didn't really want to win if I wasn't willing to do the shoot, but I did want to win--SO BAD! I am a girl that won't compromise my standards or who I am for money or fame. If it goes against my beliefs, standards, then I won't do it. Money or fame can't buy me. This industry will eat you alive if you let it. I have set certain standards of what I will and won't do and that has helped me remain true to who I am and not get caught up in the "glitz and glamor," which can ruin you if you let it. I love being remembered as the girl that stood up for herself and was willing to say, "no!"
Who do you look up to most in the fashion industry, and why?
Kathy Ireland is a role model to me. She is a supermodel, now business woman. She has created such a lucrative business, but has remained true to herself and I think that is why she succeeds. She seems like a classy lady and I would love to meet her or even work with her one day!


What have you been doing since we last saw you on ANTM?
I have been modeling, speaking, working on two books, and have been trying to keep up with blogging and writing my fans back through my website shannonstewartmodel.com. I have also done a ton of interviews for different things! One was for a Hong Kong Magazine called "Angel's Heart" that just came out! I am also meeting with Nancy the Founder of Mercy Ministries next week. It is an amazing non-profit organization that helps girls with eating disorders, abuse, cutting, or ones that have had babies. They really have been used to help so many girls, young ladies.


After your first cycle of ANTM, you competed in pageants, can you tell us a bit about those experiences?

Growing up I was always fascinated with watching Miss USA on TV. I loved watching the girls sashay in their gorgeous gowns. I liked the idea of it not just being about a lady who took care of herself, but was able to articulate, and stand up for what she believed in. It is kind of a long story how I even got stirred up to enter, but I did. I was shocked that I made it runner-up in the Miss Ohio USA pageant, especially because it was my first one. ANTM isn't about if you have character or not, or the person that you are, so I was excited to at least try the pageant for I knew that if I miraculously won, it would be platform for me since I have the desire to be a role model.


 Do you have any advice for young women?
Oh my....where do I even start! haha :) I would have to say to all of the young ladies out there that dreams to come true! I am a living example that they do. I would like to encourage you to not compromise who you are for your dreams, for it won't be worth it in the end. Many girls will say yes, but there are few who are willing to say no. You want to be respected rather than well-liked for respect is harder to earn! Most who watched ANTM know that I saved myself for my husband. I want to encourage you to wait for your future husband too! It is something that only YOU can give away! It is so worth it and your future man will be so happy that you CHOSE to save it just for him! My husband and I actually both waited. It isn't easy, but worth it! :) Oh, one last thing. Beauty isn't about having the most perfect skin, the best body, or the most amazing outfits. True beauty comes from within and shines through your exterior. You are beautiful in the Lord's eyes and it doesn't matter what "society's" standards of beauty are!



 We can't wait to meet her in person at America's Next Top Model Live this May!

 A big thank you to Shannon for taking her time to answer our questions! Don’t forget to follow her on Twitter if you aren’t already! www.twitter.com/shannonstewart1

No comments:

Post a Comment