Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Do you have Textuality?

Hello my Lovelies!
I am back from a wonderful Friday evening at the movie opening of ‘Textuality’!!!  Although I cannot say I had an entire ‘entourage’ with me, I did have my posse of one, my fabulous friend Tracy, who came out on the town with me to hob knob with the film crowd. 

Our showing of the movie was packed to the gills and the director, Warren P. Sonoda, along with the writer, Liam Card and producer, Marc Rigaux were there in full force to show their passion for the movie and their appreciation for the eager audience!
Textuality was a great representation of modern day relationships that are defined and sometimes maintained through social media.  It spoke about the irony of ‘staying connected’ without having to stay connected.  Developing emotional ties to someone is difficult to navigate when communicating over Blackberry or cell phone.  How easy is it these days to resort to touching base with others without having to physically ‘talk’ to the other person?  This is the age of faster is better and human to human interaction is becoming less and less necessary when you can reach someone ‘a la minute’.  The story revolved around Breslin, played by Jason Lewis, who after getting dumped at the alter by the love of his life, takes up with three different women at the same time, all who know nothing about the other.  All the while, a very attractive blogger named Simone, played by Carly Pope, juggles three casual relationships, while pining after a married man name Clive, played by Eric McCormack.  The only difference is that Simone’s four suitors all know about the others’ existence.  One fateful day, Breslin hits Simone with his car while she is riding her bike. He scrambles to apologize and tend to her wounds and finds himself drawn in by her magnetism and tries desperately to capture her attention. 
Particularly noteworthy was the performance of Liam Card, writer and actor extradordinaire, who provided a great deal of the film’s laughs with his portrayal of Brelin’s womanizing best friend, Michael.  Especially funny was when Michael’s phone rang with musical ring tones representing each of his numerous girlfriends’ nationalities!  Breslin sat in shock and Michael laughed off his dismay by saying it helped him to keep his roster of women straight.  He was a definite highlight for me.

Naturally I was most excited to see Supinder Wraich, whom I met at LG Fashion Week.  Here she is with Tracy and I striking a pose! 

Supinder played one of Breslin’s girlfriends, Heather.  She was sensual, feminine, funny and memorable.  I asked Supinder a few questions about her experience filming Textuality:

What do you think of the whole texting phenomenon, do you feel that it has replaced face to face communication?

I think phones replaced face to face conversation a long time ago, but at least when you called someone there was still that bit of human contact. A voice, an undertone, a little extra chatter, "hi, how are you?" with texting, it's down to the bones of what's important immediately. Which is sometimes great because that's all you want, but what's strange is that texting has put a whole lot more pressure on the phone call. Used to be the first phone call was the first point of contact, but nowadays, it's like we miss a step and get really comfortable with someone we don't know too well through texting, and when that first phone call comes around, it's hard to know what to say. It's a strange turn of events. I think what I'm going to start doing is make a rule to call before I text. That's my textiquitte advice, not that you asked...

Can you relate to your character, what did you like most about playing Heather?

I liked how much fun Heather has with her sexuality, there's no embarrassment, no games, she's brave and it's all out in the open. Oppositely, I was pretty scared on set to show that side in front of a bunch of strangers, but I find the older I get, the more I find Heather's playfulness in me.

Heather is very sassy and aware of her feminine prowess, do you think that put her in a position of power in her relationship with Breslin?

I think Heather's the kind of girl who'll take power whenever and however she can get it, and would even delude herself into thinking she's in power when she's not and I don't think she was in the position of power with Breslin.

What was your favourite scene in the movie?

I love the scene when Simone goes to see Dani. It's really interesting what's happening between the two girls at that point, I can't imagine what it'd be like talking to a friend of mine who had unintentionally stolen my boyfriend, while hosting rebound guy in my shower. It's a strange circumstance and I think Carly and Kristin shine in that scene.

What did you enjoy the most about the film making process?

Just learning how films are made.  This is my first movie and I learned a lot from when I was cast, to when we shot, to being on set and doing intimate scenes with someone who I had a TV crush on. And then there's post and the amount of time, patience, and dedication it takes to finally get a movie out to audiences, and even now that Textuality's been released and I just walked a red carpet for my first time, and am doing interviews, I'm still learning. Apparently film making is a never ending process.

Sincere thanks to Supinder for your kindness in granting the interview and spending some time with us!  It was a blast!  To read more about Supinder, visit http://www.swraich.com/. If you see the movie, you have to admire Supinder’s styelicious outfits…GORGEOUS!!!  Go see Textuality http://www.textualitymovie.com/!  You’ll love it! 

Tonight Stacey and I will be heading to Alternative Fashion Week in downtown T.O.!!!  Stay tuned for pics and details!  SO excited!

Till next time my Glamazons!

Cecilia J


 

No comments:

Post a Comment