Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Destination Design…

Hello Lovely Readers!

This will be the first in a series of interviews in conjunction with the Art of Fashion http://artoffashion.org, a non-profit organization that supports new Canadian fashion talent.  We are proud to be partnering with this terrific event and look forward to bringing you all the related news and interviews!
Carrie Hayes sits on the Board for the Art of Fashion (AOF), was a previous AOF finalist, is a member of Fashion Group International and has been featured in numerous fashion mags.  She has been designing for 10 years and is the proud creator of The Paddock, a clean and crisp fashion line that echoes an equestrian feel and features comfortable separates that long to be worn.  Carrie spent some time giving us a glimpse into her world of beautiful minimalist creations and shared her thoughts about fashion, fun and fresh perspectives on the future of design.

Designer Carrie Hayes

How did you get started in fashion?
I started in fashion by going to school and getting professional training in my field.  From there I worked for large companies for 5 years then chose to go out on my own. 
How did the Art of Fashion help to support your career?
The Art of Fashion was a great opportunity to gain exposure for my brand.  Their annual design competition is held during Toronto's Nuit Blanche arts festival so thousands of people were able to see my work first hand.   
What has been your greatest fashion inspiration?
My inspiration comes from many different places but I usually start with travel.  I'll visit a city I've never been to before and check out its culture.  From there I pool inspiration from art, architecture, design, nature.... then build it in to a single cohesive collection.

Asymetrical Jacket - $150.00, Tie Dye Tank - $35.00
Short Shorts - $60.00

What direction do you see your line taking in the future?
I'm always pushing things forward so "the future" is something I live day to day.  The business is taking on a new direction that's challenging the way the fashion industry works.  So we're in the middle of those changes now.  One of those changes is to break my high-end collection from the traditional fashion calendar.  The Grid just published an article about me that explores that in detail:  http://www.thegridto.com/life/fashion/carrie-hayes-the-future-of-fashion/  
Cotton Riding Shirt - $100.00, Riding Pants - $75.00
What is your favourite piece?
My favourite piece from The Paddock is the Notch Collar jacket.  The fit is gorgeous and it's really comfortable.  This is the piece I pair with everything!
What fashion trend do you love?
I love this year's tribal trend.  There's something that feels really fresh about it.  The Paddock's F/W 11 collection includes a couple of prints along these lines.
Who is your celebrity style crush?
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley has done an incredible job of dressing for the Transformers press tour.  She's a beautiful girl and her style is right on target.
Who would you love to dress?
I would love to dress Kate Middleton.  She has a great energy and a fantastic smile.  I feel like a lot of women can relate to her look and take inspiration from how she approaches her work.
What would be your advice to emerging Canadian designers?
My advice would be to go to school before starting a clothing line.  Nothing will get you up to speed faster than having seasoned professionals show you the ropes. 
Check out The Paddock at http://www.the-paddock.ca.  We love the neutral colours and the ability to mix and match with your everyday wardrobe.  There is something wonderful about investing in a piece of clothing that you know can flow from day to night and be a staple in your closet.  Thank you to Carrie for taking the time to speak with us.  Keep an eye out for all of the new and exciting developments from the Paddock and remember to stay in fashion!
Until Next Time My Glamazons!
Cecilia J

No comments:

Post a Comment