Tuesday, July 12, 2011

FRESH CANADIAN FASHION

During fashion week, I had the pleasure of sitting next to the sweetest woman named Michelle Baboolall.  We started chatting and I quickly found out that she was planning on opening a store that would feature solely Canadian designers.  Fast forward to a few months later and I found myself at the launch of Homegrown Boutique! 


Homegrown is a blank canvas for local talent who want to get their merchandise into the hands of consumers.  I was impressed that Michelle hand-picked who she would highlight for the season and did not overload the space with items.  There were only a few racks and each one held gems from incredibly creative and capable designers who clearly poured themselves into their work.  Clean lines, flowing printed silks and dresses with architectural detail stood out and it won’t be long before I return to find something chic and sophisticated to wear to my next event!  Read on to find out how Michelle made Homegrown Boutique a reality.  

How did you get started in the fashion business?

I started working in retail about 6 years ago but I didn't start in the fashion industry until 2 years later, as a volunteer at Toronto Fashion Week. My very first 'job' was to place gift bags and seat guests in the runway room. It wasn't very glamourous, but I loved the energy and soaked up every second of the experience.  Over the next 4 years I went on to volunteer at various fashion shows and events, ending with a 6 month internship at FASHION in the retail sales division.  I have a genuine love for the industry and wanted to learn as much as I could, and I have been grateful for all opportunities I've had.
Tell us about your boutique.
The store carries all Canadian designers, with 5 for summer 2011. Emily Woudenberg, Rachel Sin, Sarah Stevenson and Zoran Dobric are all Toronto based, while Arti Gogna is from Montreal and exclusive to Homegrown Boutique in Toronto. Right now it's all women’s wear, but I hope to expand into menswear in the near future. The reason I chose having a retail space over e-commerce was because of the concept behind the boutique. I want my designers to feel like the space is theirs just as much as it is mine, and to have the ability to use the space for photo shoots, events, etc. The store is more than just a place where clothes are sold, but also a space to help grow their brand. 

Me with Michelle and fabulous jewellery designer Elizabeth Kerim from Compass Jewelry.

What kind of designers would you like to feature?
Designers who are truly passionate about what they do. Passion and creativity are the two most important ingredients to success. The reality is that you aren't going to make money right away, but if you love what you do, you will have a better chance of becoming successful at it. I love designers who are also environmentally and socially conscious, like Sarah Stevenson who uses natural fibers and prints with a waterless process.
The fabulous ladies from YYZ Living
ANTM LIVE BUZZ:  Our main stage fashion show will feature Canadian designers!!!  Don’t miss the fashion spectacle of the year!
Tell us about your personal style.
I'm very much a minimalist and dress practically, which I think surprises people. I wear a lot of neutral colours and pieces which have a more timeless and classic look. I typically shop with longevity in mind, because I hate having clothes that become dated quickly. Because I have such a simplistic taste, I really believe that details make all the difference. I accessorize with jewellery, usually something with pearls. I have a pearl ring and a rose gold band that I wear almost every day.


Who is your fashion inspiration?

I know this is cliché, but my mother is definitely my biggest fashion inspiration. She is responsible for teaching me everything I know today, and I still call her when I need help putting together an outfit. She doesn't have 'off days' and always leaves the house looking put together and elegant, even when she's going to the grocery store. I used to make fun of her for wearing black all the time, but I now I understand that it fits for almost any occasion.

Some fabulous party guests!

 What would you recommend as a MUST HAVE look for this season?
Floral prints! They were a definite trend on the runways, and are very accessible and wearable. You can make them the focal point or an accent of your outfit, and can work for any body type. I have floral print dresses, tops and scarves in the store for the summer.
Thank you to Michelle for taking the time to speak with us!  By the way, don’t forget to go to Yorkville and visit 16 Cumberland Avenue on the lower level to see Michelle for all the latest in Canadian fashion! www.facebook.com/homegrownto
I also had the pleasure of meeting two of the innovative designers at the launch, Sarah Stevenson www.sarahstevensondesign.com and Rachel Sin www.rachelsin.com. Their collections are wearable, gorgeous and perfect for the fashionista in you!
Until next time my Glamazons!
Cecilia J 





1 comment: