Friday, July 15, 2011

Woman On The Move....

Greetings Glamazons!
I recently had the great pleasure of interviewing the one and only Leesa Butler - fashion blogger, social media guru, event producer and all around stylish siren.  She arrived at our meeting wearing a gorgeous Bustle dress and not only dazzled with her smile, but also with her sincerity.  When you first see her you have no idea where she hides all of her endless charisma.  Make no mistake, despite her tiny frame, she is a major player in the fashion and social media industries and has truly made her mark in this world of uncertainty.  Leesa shared her thoughts about fashion, Canadian design and her favourite look.   
Leesa Butler

What are ten things no one knows about you?
I don’t know that I can name ten things that no one knows about me…I have a secret hate for clothing hangers (not just the wire ones). It’s why I hated working retail, although I don’t hate to shop! I also hate garden hoses - anything that can get tangled, really.
What sparked your interest in fashion?
Fashion has always played a pivotal role in my life, much the same way music has. I admire creativity and have great respect for the process of creating fashion. I have a great aunt who was instrumental in fostering that appreciation when I was a child. She made a lot of great clothes for me including a pair of matching faux fur coats in black and white when I was about five years old. They were precious, I wish I still had them!
How did the F-list come about?
When I moved to Toronto from New York in 2002 I began discovering Canadian fashion. I found it interesting – no, odd – that these designers weren’t noted in the fashion magazine spreads. Outside of the retailer carrying them, few knew the designers by name.  After meeting some of the key players in Toronto’s fashion week – including Joe Mimran and Robin Kay – I decided to merge fashion with my knowledge of the online space.
Who has been your favourite interview subject?
My most recent interview subject is a fascinating combo of textile designer/stylist/retailer – Lisa Corbo of George C Boutique in Yorkville. Donna Karan was great too!
What is your favourite fashion event?
Every day is a fashion event! But I would have to say LG Fashion Week as it’s the only time we get to see our homegrown talent work the runway.
ANTM LIVE BUZZ:  Canadian designers will be highlighted in our exciting Main Stage Fashion Show, be sure to see it in person at ANTM Live next May!
Who are your favourite designers?
Pink Tartan, NADA, IZMA, Evan Biddell, Jason Matlo, Comrags, Greta Constantine, Paul Hardy, Pink Cobra, Rachel Mara, Abel Munoz (shoes) and Denis Gagnon.
What is your recommended go-to outfit for this season?
The maxi dress is incredible – it shows off the bust and it gives great legs no matter how long your legs are! It dresses up or down, I love it.
What trend do you think will fade out and which one do you think fashionistas must wear for this season?
It’s tough to nail the trends anymore, I honestly feel that we’re moving away from that. It’s driven the disposable, fast fashion culture that’s just unsustainable. I prefer things more timeless.
What are your thoughts on the landscape of Canadian design? 
As diversified as this country is, I don’t always see it reflected in the fashion. There is a lot of safe fashion. I would love to see people really push themselves to do something different.
What do you think people can do to better support homegrown talent?
You can’t force people to like or buy something, but you can give a designer the basic visibility at retail. It’s hard enough to get a collection made and then you have to sell it. We need to do a better job at helping designers at the sales level.
What advice would you give to up and coming designers?
Now more than ever, the world is open to new ideas, new ways of doing things. Great things always happen after a recession; historically it’s a highly creative time. My advice would be: don’t hold back. Challenge yourself. Challenge the world.
Many thanks to Leesa for taking the time to speak with us! Stay tuned as we continue to profile Leesa and her F-list blog http://www.f-list.ca/
Until next time my Glamazons!
Cecilia J

No comments:

Post a Comment